Etiquette and Ethics
- Never take a rock that is protected by state, federal or country laws.
- This includes ALL dinosaur bone.
- This includes ALL native American artifacts.
- Don’t take more than you need.
- Dig carefully, fill in holes.
- Leave no trace.
- Don’t dig on private property without prior permission
BLM – Bureau of Land Management
The Bureau of Land Management is an agency within the United States Department of the Interior responsible for administering federal lands. With oversight over 247.3 million acres, it governs one eighth of the country’s landmass.*
Find out their rules in advance of rock hounding, and make note of location and report any specials finds. A paleontologist will be dispatched to examine and collect the specimen.
The state of Texas does not have a BLM. All property is state and/or privately owned. If you plan to rockhound in Texas, contact the landowner first!
If you don’t know, ask first…
1849 C St., NW
Washington, DC 20240